Monday, December 3, 2018

December Newsletter



December 2018 Newsletter
A newsletter designed with OrlandoMQG members in mind!
View this email in your browser

Issue 36


December 3rd, 2018

Dear Guildies,

The holidays are upon us! I hope you all had a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving and are ready for all the excitement to come this month.

The Nominations Committee is busy preparing for our 2019 Board. See Bylaws for list of positions and roles and responsibilities. All board positions have openings this coming year. Nominations are due to Karol Evans by December 20th. Speeches can be giving during the January meeting. Final nominations are due before the February meeting. Voting will occur during the February meeting.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions regarding the newsletter, please email me. I would also love to hear of any quilty news or ideas for content you'd like to share. Constructive feedback is always welcome.

Happy stitching,

Ashley Gottshalk
Secretary
Meeting Reminders
  • Wednesday, December 5th is our guild meeting at The Sewing Studio 10-12. Parking is once again permitted at the gas station next door when The Sewing Studio lot is full.
  • Bring your Block Lotto block(s). Each block made earns you one ticket in the raffle of ALL blocks. The more blocks you make, the better your chance of winning! Here is the current block's details.
  • Bring your finished projects for Show and Tell.  
  • Remember to bring you Bee Blocks for your Queen Bees.
  • All books checked out from the guild library need to be returned by Wednesday's meeting. If you checked out a book but will not attend the meeting, you need to make arrangements to give the book to someone who will. Check the link on our blog to see what books are in our inventory and to add books to the ongoing wish list.
  • Members receive a 15% discount at The Sewing Studio on guild meeting days and a 10% discount on non-meeting days.
  • Monday, December 10th is the Maitland Sew Day. Saturday, December 15th is the Dr. Phillips Sew Day. Saturday, December 15th from 9am - 1:30pm is the Oviedo Library Sew Day. 
  • Block of the Month (current and past) instructions, meeting minutes, Calendar dates, and more can be found on the guild blog.

Monthly Programming
Paula Kennedy
 

 

 

Upcoming Guild Exhibits
Jane Allingham



The Lake Mary Historical Museum has invited the Guild to show works during their Fiber Festival. This is one of the most popular events at the museum and we’d love to show the world that quilting is a continually changing tradition with our modern take on the art. The Museum hangs the quilts so installation is easy on our part. If you are unsure of what to show or don’t want to use Sign-Up Genius, please bring the quilts to our December meeting and I’ll take them. The drop dead deadline to have them to me is December 19 so let me know if we can expect them after the meeting and we’ll make arrangements.

The Maitland Public Library (our great hosts for the Maitland Sew Days) will show our quilts during January and then will be a part of the trunk show at the Health Central ALF before being returned to you. So if you have a quilt with CURVES and want to participate please bring them – with hanging sleeves attached – to the December meeting or contact Mary Smart to make arrangements.


Sign-up here if you have a quilt to share for either event.
 

The Guild was featured in Lake Mary Life monthly magazine for the November/December issue. You can read the article here or on page 73.

Quilts for Pulse History Center Panels Lottery


The Orange County Regional History Center gave us the QFP panels they had printed for the 2 year remembrance exhibit. They have each been cut down so there are 8 panels total, approx 33x45" each. They are printed on a very sturdy substrate. If you participated in QFP, and would like to put your name in the lottery to receive one, please sign up here by December 4. The drawing will happen at the meeting on December 5. No shipping, local pickup only. Again, you must be a member in good standing, have participated in QFP, and sign up using the link to be eligible. Only one entry per member please. Thanks! Comment with any questions.
  
  




 

Cre-active Club Challenge

#creactiveclub and #2018creactiveclub
Caroline Garnier


Cre-active Club Show and Tell will be postponed until the January meeting because of the full agenda.  

The next project will be chosen and announced at the meeting, so stay tuned for that.
 

Member Spotlight


with Betty Baker

Once upon a time, many years ago, my fiancé  and I received a beautiful bed size scrappy quilt for a wedding gift. We enjoyed it as a throw and for picnics and camping. Once I realized the work that went into making that special quilt years later, I feel guilty that somewhere along the way of raising kids and moving across the state, that comfy quilt went AWOL. But living for years with it sparked my interest in the crafty world of quilting. One reason I started quilting was to find out why my aunt made so many quilts. 
 
My mother taught me to sew when I was 11, so quilting kind of seemed a natural transition. I figured if little old ladies could do it, how hard can it be? (A thought that kind of taunts me sometimes). I learned to quilt 20 years ago in Clearwater when I took a class making a small sampler. Starting out with simple projects like block of the month through local shops made me accountable at least once a month while working. After I retired, I moved on to appliqué, t shirt quilts, bed and baby quilts. I love making baby quilts as they are little quilts for little people,  and the fabric is so fun and cute. But I’ve run out of family grandbabies, after 7 of them, but there is always someone who needs a quilt. And of course then came that minor detail like the build up of THE STASH! Now I quilt for several reasons, the stash being one of them, and trying to relieve my studio, also known as the Room of Good Intentions, and the relaxation of sewing and creating.  I know I was hooked on quilting when listening to a speaker at a quilt meeting, I was concentrating more on  the flowery fabric of the woman’s jacket than her speal. My next quilting goal is to start making art quilts and doing more improv.
 
My favorite machines are my amazing old Bernina 163 and my amazing new used Baby Lock Crescendo (my most Favored possession, next to my family).  Some days when I miss quilting and don’t have time for it, I visit my STASH, otherwise known as my fabric grandchildren, and rearrange them in project bags and even pet them. (Note, I don’t have a pet.) and my favorite fictional character is Betty Boop as I was called this in high school. I view quilt shows as true art. P.S. each time I’ve vicissitudes the National Quilt museum in Paducah I exit with tears in my eyes as I’ve just witnessed amazing beauties made of fabric,

         
 
The hardest quilts to finish were 2 quilts, one for a gold star family and another for a paralyzed 24 year old veteran. How could I pay them back? There is no human way but to do something that comes from the heart. We are so privileged to have a craft that can give anyone in need comfort and warmth.
 
It took me a long time to realize how comforting it is to keep a quilt and I do keep my favorites. I love being around the water and snorkeling in the Keys, and swimming in the underwater world. Some of my favorite quilts are the amazing seahorse quilt of kobalt blue and greens, and the Caribbean Wave French Braid bed runner, and the Civil War Underground Railroad throw. The Civil War quilt is made of a stack of fat quarters I won and wanted to get rid of, pieced the back and binding to use it all up. It still surprises me how much I love it, remembering war heroes and those seeking freedom.
Words of advice from someone who has been there: when the machine needle goes thru your fingertip or nail (thank heavens machine stops running), clip the thread to detach yourself from the machine, remove the broken needle, apply alcohol and sew on. And get your tetanus shot up to date. And don’t store your glue with the machine oil. And build your designed quilt from the center out, not vice versa. Oh the many things we have learned from incidents and accidents. 
 
You might not know I am a 27 year Breast Cancer survivor and feel blessed to be alive, a result of early detection. (See the T-shirt cancer quilt made for a dear friend.) I enjoy being with other Quilters as they are an amazing special breed of people, not only creative but generous and give away their knowledge, too. I joined this special guild hoping to become more modern and still feel liberated to change. Some of them are lifetime friends. My most overused word is “amazing”. Can you tell?

QUILTY HAPPENINGS
Locally, Globally, and on the Web
 

Broward Quilt Week is March 4-10, 2019. They've shared their Workshops featuring Jean Wells and Tara Faughnan. For more info visit Broward Quilt Expo.

 


Thank you for being a part of The Orlando Modern Quilt Guild.  We appreciate you taking the time to read our newsletter and hope you find it as interesting as we do!

President:  Sarah Lauzon
Vice President:  Paula Kennedy
Secretary:  Ashley Gottshalk
Treasurer:  Zonetta Glenn
Community Outreach: Marge Cree
Education Coordinator:  Patti Lapinsky
Member-at-Large:  Jane Allingham
Founding Officers and Board Members:
Rene' Martinez, Michele Lancaster
Do you know someone who might like this newsletter?  Forward it to them.  They can subscribe here.  
You can find the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild on these social media platforms.
Copyright © 2018 Orlando Modern Quilt Guild, All rights reserved.


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

0 comments:

Post a Comment