There are many benefits to participating in a quilt along, depending on the type and whether it is currently in session. It's a great way to sew with others, learn tips and tricks, and keep on track with posted time frames.
Various types of quilt alongs can be found and are usually one of the following:
- Hosted by a blog author who shares a tutorial and series of posts for making a quilted project
- Quilt Along based on a published pattern (needs to be purchased) where you follow along in making that pattern. The pattern designer may or may not be the host but has approved of the quilt along and sometimes offers tips.
- Quilt along with pattern designed specifically for that purpose such as a block of the month or skill builder series.
Past quilt alongs of interest:
- Summer Sampler Series - 12 different 12.5" block tutorials by Swim Bike Quilt, Freshly Pieced and Fresh Lemon Quilts
- SuperNova Quilt Along hosted by Freshly Pieced
- Sew Together Bag Sew Along - The Quilt Barn takes you through the steps to make this bag. Pattern required.
- Old Red Barn Quilt Along - This link will take you to the Flickr group which has links to thirteen rounds of various quilt along posts. I believe all are free tutorials.
- Crazy Mom Quilts - Link to four quilt alongs with a series of tutorials.
In case you want to join one from the beginning:
Timber Quilt Along has just been announced and starts March 2015. This is based on Alison Glass's Timber quilt pattern (which is required).
Elephant Parade a free quilt along by Sew Fresh Quilts started February 2015.
Moccasin Block of the Month Club - through Gen X Quilters and started January 2015. Fee involved.
Quilt Along Directory - an online directory of quilt alongs and linky parties
I've found some tutorials start off as a quilt along but then later become patterns or books, so keep that in mind ;-) Pinwheel Sampler and Great Granny Along are two that I completed a while back but when referencing for this post I see are now only available for purchase.
I hope this post has shed some light on sew alongs and quilt alongs. We've only touched on a few of many quilt alongs. Do you know of any other great quilt alongs that are just now starting? How about any past quilt alongs you have participated in? What tips do you have regarding what makes a great quilt along? Please leave a comment below. The random number generator will pick a winner on March 1st for a quilty prize.