Wednesday, September 2, 2015

October Block of the Month!

Hello everyone! It's Kate!

I am so excited to be choosing the October block of the month since autumn and Halloween are my favorite!
I chose a Spiderweb quilt block and the tutorial can be found here via Sew Mama Sew. These spiderweb blocks use a piece of fabric as your foundation (a new technique to try!) and give you a great use for your scraps (who doesn't love a good scrap buster?).

As a kid my favorite spooky stories were the Goosebumps "Choose Your Own Adventure" books so I thought why not do that for the color ways for these block to add some interest? You can also choose if you want to get super scrappy and have the spider web strips be different sizes (like the black and white webs) or more uniform (like the colorful webs)  So many ways to change up this block!

Color way 1:

Choose a black white or gray solid fabric for your foundation and add all your fun Halloween colors to the outside.

Color Way 2:

Choose a Halloween color solid for the center and keep your spiderwebs grayscale.

I understand not everyone will have the overgrown Halloween stash I have so feel free to use any prints or solids that fit the color scheme for your webs. Just have fun with it!

And as for these "Halloween Colors" I keep referring to, some examples would be: ghoulish greens, putrid purples, otherwordly oranges and even a little zombie skin blue.

Can't wait to see the blocks in October!

1 comment: