Friday, February 2, 2018

Meet Michelle Mullinax


Please tell us how long you have been sewing and/or quilting and when you joined the Orlando MQG.
I began quilting about 7 ½ years ago. I joined the MQG as an individual member first since there wasn't a local MQG where I live (Lake Park, GA) and then became a member of the Orlando MQG February, 2015. As an out-of-state member, I miss out on most of the monthly sew days and board meetings. But I have enjoyed attending a couple of workshops and sew days, and retreating with the guild in Sebring a few years ago was such a wonderful experience. QuiltCon 2015 and 2017 was also a great opportunity to see my Orlando MQG friends!
Starry Sky mini quilt - blocks made at guild retreat
How did you learn to quilt?
I initially learned to quilt by watching YouTube videos and tutorials from blogs. My sister, Rene’, introduced me to quilting by giving me a sewing machine and a kit to make a Yellow Brick Road quilt.  She had planned a mini quilting lesson/retreat to go along with the gifts, but the weekend ended up being a comedy of unfortunate events (car trouble for her and a dead air conditioner in the middle of August for me), so I was given a list of wonderful video tutorials to get me started. At the time, I didn’t even know how to thread my machine…haha. But I quickly developed a passion for quilting that has not subsided in the least. My first year of quilting resulted in about 8-10 quilts! Over the years, I have slowed down quite a bit and learned to really enjoy the process instead of being so focused on the final product. 

Modern X quilt
What machine do you drive?
I drive a Janome Memory Craft 6300. She is a workhorse!! 
Do you sew with your shoes on or off?
Shoes are always off. 
What and/or who inspires you?
This is almost an impossible question to answer without writing a book! There are so many wonderful quilters that have inspired me over the years. But, the quilter that always comes to mind first is Jacquie Gering. I love her passion, her generous spirit, the way she embraces the quilting process…I am definitely a fan! One of the first modern quilts I made was from her Quilting Modern book, co-authored by Katie Pedersen. I fell in love with her Fiesta Quilt…such bold, vibrant colors. At the time, I didn’t have the confidence to use those brilliant colors. Instead, I made a Siesta wall quilt using colors more suited to me.
Fiesta quilt
What is your most treasured (sewing) possession?
I treasure all of the quilts and handmade gifts given to me. I am blessed to have several amazing quilts made by my sister and a beautiful Christmas quilt made by our mother. It is not unusual for me to pick a quilt to snuggle under based upon my mood at the time. Each one serves a specific purpose, comfort-wise. 
Peace quilt
What is your favorite thing you’ve made to date?
In 2012, my sister and I made a quilt for our mother to celebrate her 70th birthday. We each made 10 great-granny square blocks, for a total of 20 blocks, using fabric from one of my favorite designers – Kate Spain. Somehow we were able to keep this project a secret from our mother. The only thing better than working on a collaborative project with my sister was knowing that our mother would treasure this quilt and the love that went into each stitch! 

Great Granny Square quilt made for my mom

What is your next sewing adventure?
I’m looking forward to retreating in Minnesota this July with a wonderful group of friends. Quilting has allowed me the opportunity to make great friends, and I am fortunate to spend 4-5 days at Gruber’s retreat center each summer with friends from all over the country. After that, maybe QuiltCon 2019 in Nashville!!
QuiltCon 2015 in Austin with my sister



1 comment:

  1. Where can I get the pattern for The Starry Sky quilt block? It is a really striking design.

    ReplyDelete