Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Block of the Month plus a bonus

April's of the month is the Origami Star Block by Amy Newbold.  Amy blogs at Suki, Don't You Know Who I Am? and is also the treasurer of our mother ship, The Modern Quilt Guild.

She has a wonderful tutorial for the Origami Star block at Origami Star Block.  It is a cute and easy block that finishes at 8" and 8.5" unfinished.  The tutorial is very easy to understand and my only tips are to use a scant 1/4 inch seam and to be careful with your finished blocks because they do end up with bias edges so can be prone to some stretching and distortions.

These blocks should be made with red, orange and yellow stripes with a gray background. Here is my sample block.



Now for the bonus!

When you add the gray squares to the corners of the striped squares you will trim off two triangles.  I just hate to see those corners get wasted so I sewed each pair together to make half square triangles and then created little 3.25 inch pinwheels.  I thought we could have a second drawing for the pinwheel blocks too.  So we can have two winners this month!  Yay for winners!!


And here is a picture with them all together.  I think the little pinwheels would be fun in the same quilt as the Origami Star.  Maybe one lucky person can win both sets!


0 comments:

Post a Comment