Friday, September 2, 2016

Meet Ashley Pollard

I learned to sew when I was 6 when my mom helped me make my first dress. I've always loved sewing and pottery because it keeps my hands busy and it's a useful outlet for my creative energy. I grew up in St. Augustine, attended the University of Florida, and I've lived in Orlando for 7 years. I'm an architect, living and working downtown and an avid runner. 




Growing up my mom was always sewing and she's been making award-winning quilts for as long as I can remember. I was drawn to quilting when I first saw Carolyn Friedlander's Architextures fabric line and was intrigued by her background in architecture. I quickly snagged a jelly roll of hers and got to work on my first quilt which I (and my cats) use all the time. Just last year I ran into CF while visiting my brother in Austin. I was there to run the marathon and while waiting to get my bag at the airport I looked next to me and of all people, there is Carolyn who was there for QuiltCon! I turned into a crazy fan girl, surprising her when I went to give her a hug like we were long lost friends. Fortunately, she still wanted to take a selfie with me. 



Not long after making my first quilt I discovered the huge quilting network on Instagram and fell in love with Tula Pink's 100 Modern Quilt Blocks. I've been working on that quilt off and on for about 3 years and can't wait to finally finish it sometime soon...a familiar feeling for all, I'm sure. I most enjoy making minis and baby quilts for friends but would love to try designing my own patterns or fabrics.




I learned about the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild a few years ago but only recently joined after meeting Alissa and Patti at The Sewing Studio's July 4th sale. We started talking about the #quiltsforpulse quilt I had started and I just knew I had to join and contribute to the effort in more ways. I couldn't be more proud to be an Orlandoan or member of this talented, caring, and generous group. Thanks for the opportunity to share a little about myself. Happy stitching!


You can find Ashley on Instagram @ashleyepollard

1 comment:

  1. I love learning about members this way. It's so nice to find out who they are and what gets them quilting! Good job Rene'!

    ReplyDelete