Monday, August 1, 2016

Meet Kelly Eskin

I am a self taught sewist - via books and the internet. I have always loved creating and making art.  But, nothing clicked until I fell in love with quilting when I found a quilt along on Elizabeth Hartman's blog around 2007. I bought Deynse Schmit's first book and I was off and running. I found out about the guild when Elizabeth was show casing the charity blocks from all the guilds for the first Quiltcon charity quilt.  I couldn't believe there was a modern guild in my own city!  I've been a member of the guild since 2014 after I became a stay at home mom and could attend the meetings.  It never crossed my mind to just join.  :)  



 Some of the fabric designers I love are Anna Maria Horner, Lizzy House, Katarina Roccella, and Kona solids. I find Instagram so inspiring.  I love to see what different kinds of quilt people make. 


I like to have people to make quilts for, so I tend to quilt with other people in mind.  Of all the quilts I've made, I only have kept a handful.  I have a deep appreciation for modern quilts with a lot of negative space and intricate piecing.  However, I find I love simple patchwork for myself.  5" blocks, strips, HST, flying geese are the types of quilts I have in my house and on my bed.  I'm currently working on a Cotton and Steel quilt using 2.5,4.5, and 6.5 blocks and flying geese on the back.  I'm slow to trends but have recently fell in love with low volume backgrounds. 
 

As a stay-at-home mom and an introvert, quilting helps to soothe my soul.  I love a quote featured on the Simple Simon and co blog: "Do something everyday that can't be undone."  After attending guild meetings or sew days, I feel so refreshed.  I'm super thankful to be apart of the guild and I can't wait to go to the retreat and Quiltcon next year.


You can find more on Kelly's Instagram @pheskin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment