Monday, May 30, 2016

Meet Marge Cree


Hi, My name is Marge and I’ve been a member of the guild for around 6 years.  I guess I was at the right place at the right time when I discovered the guild one Saturday at the Dr. Phillips Library Sew Day.  Yes, I was one of those people that walked in but I didn’t have my little girl with me who wanted to learn how to sew or I didn’t have any pants to mend.    Michele gave me a card and it was love at first sight!  I was still working then so I only attended the monthly Sew Days but now that I’m one of the lucky ones, I’m retired and enjoy every aspect of the group.  One retreat some of the members talked me into running for treasurer and I kept that office for 2 years.  I would encourage anyone to join the leadership team, it was great fun.  I’ve also made some great friends along the way.





My greatest achievements are my two girls and my husband of 47 years.  Along with that came the best 2 grandsons in the world!  I have sewed all my life and used to make clothes, back when it was cheaper to sew clothes then buy them.  My girls are still tramatized with some of the things I used to make them wear.  My oldest still talks about the orange gingham blouse that matched her bedroom curtains; what can I say, I had leftover fabric.  I started quilting about 16 years ago when a fellow Disney cast member organized a group to make quilts for Salvation Army for Christmas.  We used to get together and hand quilt around patterns on the fabric.  I knew there was more to it so I brought a baby quilt pattern book by Ursula Reikes and made every quilt in the book many times over.   That year I made 39 quilts for charity and realized that there was more than just baby quilt patterns out there, the rest is history.    

I think I’m more of a contemporary quilter, I love bright colors that have pretty patterns to them.  Although there are so many designers that I’ve not learned about yet, Allison Glass, Kaffe Fassett  and Anna Marie Horner are three of my favorites.   I always seem to like what Free Spirit comes out with.   There are so many beautiful fabrics out there, it’s hard to choose specific ones.  My latest addiction is hexies and can’t wait to explore the possibilities!  As other guild members have said before, the guild has really opened my 
eyes to new opportunities to create beautiful things.  I just love learning from the group and will continue to do so for many more years. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment