November 5, 2014
The meeting was called to order with 32 members and 4 guests present.
UPCOMING EDUCATION EVENTS
- Cocoa Beach quilt retreat takes place Nov 7-9. Attendees may want to carpool.
- Victoria Findlay Wolfe workshop will take place on Dec 5 and 6 from 10:30 - 4:30 at the Dr Phillips Library. Supply list can be found here. There are still 5 spots available on Sat. and registration for those spots is now open to non-members. Cara will order lunch for the group; if you have dietary restrictions, please let her know ASAP. Please bring old phone books for paper piecing.
- Cara asked if there was interest in another field trip to the Suwannee Valley Quilt Shoppe. She will check available dates.
- UFO's need to be completed by our Dec 3 meeting. Prize will be awarded at our Sew Day Holiday party on Dec 20.
- Cara was the winner.
- Remember to read the OMQG blog and respond to posts to have your name entered in our monthly raffle!
- Our current total assets are $7766.25
- Make sure to attend the upcoming Festival of Trees at the Orlando Museum of Art and see our beautiful quilt!
- A number of members contributed blocks for the quilt.
- Quilts for the Veteran's Home in Lake Nona will be collected by Linda at any time between now and February. Approximately 50 x 70 is the desired size. Color scheme can be either red, white, and blue, or any combination of masculine colors. Members may submit either finished quilts, or 12.5" blocks in red, white, and blue, and Linda will assemble these blocks into quilts. Members may also bring in the "quilt as you go" free motion quilting blocks distributed at a previous meeting. Beth's long arm machine is available for quilting charity quilts if anyone would like to use it.
- Since our guild is growing so quickly, we will assign new members a "big sister" who will acquaint new members with the guild's programs, and answer any questions they may have. A survey will be sent soon asking for veteran members to volunteer.
- Our annual holiday party will be held on Sew Day on Dec 20, at the Dr Phillips Library, from 10-4. Please bring a potluck dish to share. Also, if you would like to participate in a gift exchange, bring a mini quilt (no bigger than 18" on any one side) in a brown paper or gift bag. (Ideas for mini quilts can be found on our OMQG Pinterest page.) Prizes will be awarded for our UFO winners. Alissa volunteered to be the "MC" for our games.
- The next meeting of the modern quilting salon will take place November 13 from 6-8 pm at the Bernina Sewing Center in Lake Mary.
- Information on current nominees for our region's representative to the national Modern Quilt Guild can be found on the MQG website. Ballots for voting will be sent to all members on November 10, and must be returned by November 14.
- Zonetta, Julie and Karol have agreed to serve as this year's committee. Please look on the OMQG website for descriptions of all available OMQG board positions. More information will be presented at future meetings.
- Instructions for this month's block can be found here.
- Florida Cabin Fever quilt show will take place Feb 23 and 24. Registration is now open for submissions. December 7 is the deadline for registering.
WISH I HAD MADE THAT.....
....was won by Rene.
Meeting adjourned at 11:50 am.