Community Outreach questions can be submitted to Mary Whittaker. Members can find her email on the roster, all other inquiries can be sent to our email address: email@example.com
Community Outreach Committee
Community Outreach Coordinator
Here is a recap of a very generous year from our amazing OMQG members:
- 441 sweet bears for Share Bear United, Inc
- 72 (and still counting) quilts for youth aging out of foster care and being served by Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Association, Inc
- 1 quilt for the Festival of Trees to support the Orlando Museum of Art
- 1 quilt for Quilt Con’s Charity Quilts project
- 1 quilt for a local family that was victim of a house fire
- 14 quilts and tops to tornado victims in Georgia
- 1 quilt plus many blocks for Project 70273
- Blocks sent to the UK after the Grenfell Towers Fire
- 3 quilts sent after the Las Vegas shooting
- 4 quilts to Houston after Hurricane Harvey
- 3 quilts to Deland for re-homed children from Puerto Rico
- Large Flat Rate box of fabric and quilt tools to California for quilters affected by fires
- Large Flat Rate box of heart blocks and backing fabric to Sutherland Springs, TX after the church shooting
- 6 completed quilts and 6 tops currently in ‘stash’
- HST blocks in stash to be assembled
- Last of over 1800 quilts given to victims and responders of the Pulse Nightclub shooting
Give yourselves a big hug for the love, support, and care you have shown through the gift of your quilts.
Questions related to this subcommittee can be directed to Beth Schmidt. Occasionally, there will be a call for blocks in response to a particular need in our local community or the quilting community at large. Details will be posted on our blog and on this page. You can also search the label Call for Blocks to see the pertinent posts.
There is so much to say about our Quilts for Pulse project. Here are a few links that best give you an idea of the scope and magnitude of the project as well as the generosity of the worldwide quilting community:
- Article by members Anne Sullivan and Anastasia Salter in Resilience: Remembering Pulse exhibit at UCF Art Gallery
- Quilt Alliance interviews of Sarah L., Jodi P., Sharleen J. regarding various aspects of the Quilts for Pulse project
- Modern Patchwork July/August 2017 edition has a great article entitled "Orlando's Pulse Quilts: Compassion goes viral"
- Orlando Sentinel video "Handmade quilts delivered to Pulse first responders"
- Quilting Arts October/November 2017 edition includes the Quilts for Pulse project in their "Craftivism" article.
- Instagram hashtag #QuiltsforPulse
For past Community Outreach projects, please search our blog using labels Charity, Charity Projects, or a particular recipient.